Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

Dangerous Chocolate Cake

Sunday night, home alone who wants cake? I do, I do! But just a little bit of cake.....so what to do? Make a cake in a mug! hugh?

This recipe came to me via email a while back and I hadn't had a chance to try it yet....so here's what you do (the recipe follows). Mix ingredients and microwave.

I used a big mug because I wasn't sure how much space the ingredients would take.It did reach the top of this mug, but went back down after cooking!
Transfer to a plate for dining!

Yummy! I have to tell you it wasn't bad at all. All of my chocolate chips ended up in the center for some reason, though. It was very sweet and didn't need icing! This fall when it's too cold to get out I'll probably experiment with a few different versions. It's a pretty good emergency gotta have cake recipe! All the mixing was in the mug ~ I used the measuring spoons and a fork to stir. The kids will love this, it's pretty fun, too!!


Dangerous Chocolate Cake-in-a-Mug

* 1 coffee mug
* 4 Tbsp. cake flour (plain, not self-rising)

* 4 Tbsp. sugar
* 2 Tbsp. cocoa
* 1 egg (used a jumbo egg - all I had on hand)
* 3 Tbsp. milk
* 3 Tbsp. oil (used Enova oil)
* Small splash of vanilla
* 3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, optional (you can add a few chopped walnuts)


Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well with a fork.
Add egg then mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk and oil and vanilla, mix well.
Add chips, if using.
Put mug in microwave and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts.
(Really fun to watch) I stopped at 2 1/2)
Cake will rise over top of mug--do not be alarmed!
Allow to cool slightly; tip onto a plate if desired. (Comes out great
and cut into four long pieces)
Add some drizzles of chocolate syrup and some Cool Whip, or you could add canned frosting, too.

I was told that the batter does rise up 'way over the top of the mug, but doesn't run down the side. Fun to watch!
Note: Be careful not to overcook-some microwaves are higher than 1000 watts, and three minutes was a dab too long--dried the cakes out a little bit.
Be sure to watch it the whole time it's baking in the microwave, although
they say it's not good to stand near the microwave!!!


Q. Why is this cake the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
A. Because now we are all only five minutes away from chocolate cake any time of the day or night!!!

No comments: